Files disappearing from mounted partitions

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Oct 1 06:34:10 UTC 2006

On Saturday 30 September 2006 22:18, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>On 01/10/06, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>> On Saturday 30 September 2006 21:33, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> >My /etc/fstab:
>> >dotancohen at ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/fstab
>> ># /etc/fstab: static file system information.
>> >#
>> >proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
>> >/dev/hda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0
>> >  1 /dev/hda9       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
>> > /dev/hdb1       /home/dotancohen/music ext3    defaults        0
>> >  2 /dev/hda6       /home/dotancohen/video1 ext3    defaults        0
>> > 2 /dev/hda7       /home/dotancohen/video2 ext3    defaults        0 2
>> > /dev/hda8       none            swap    sw              0       0
>> > /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
>> > /dev/hdd        /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
>> > /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
>> > dotancohen at ubuntu:~$
>> >
>> >All was fine until today. Now, when I open /home/dotancohen/music
>> >/home/dotancohen/video1 or /home/dotancohen/video2 the folders seem to
>> >be empty:
>> >dotancohen at ubuntu:~$ ls music/
>> >dotancohen at ubuntu:~$ ls video1
>> >dotancohen at ubuntu:~$ ls video2
>> >dotancohen at ubuntu:~$
>> >
>> >Note that each of these directories have at least 5 Gigs each worth of
>> >files. Why don't I see those files?
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> >Dotan Cohen
>> >http://what-is-what.com
>>
>> Does /etc/mtab say they are mounted?  Sound like they may not be.
>
>Gene, you're right, the partitions aren't mounted.
>
>They were all mounted a few hours ago. And they umounted one by one.
>Why could that be? I'm a bit worried.

I think I'd be doing some back searching in the logs for clues.  Maybe you
had a power glitch that rebooted the machine and they weren't ready at
mount time?  Thats not even a WAG, let alone a SWAG though.  I think I'd
reboot from cold, and see if that fixes it.  I don't know of anything that
would cause them to spontainiously unmount though.  Mount doesn't to my
knowledge have a timeout option but a flakey psu or a power glitch can do
black magic things occasionally.  One of the reasons I have a ups on
everything here.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)