kubuntu desktop, win2003 server home dir's

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 03:52:21 UTC 2006

Michael W. Holdeman wrote:
> We are attempting to convert our desktops to kubuntu and have a few remaining
> hurdles, one being Oracle Calendar, the other is that in windows all teh
> users of the various desktops are sharing space on teh server for their "my
> docs" While using samba we can set this up fairly seamlessly, but Open Office
> won't open or write to samba shares.
>
> Any advice on solving this issue?
>
> Mike

KDE and MS server 2003 is a tricky beast and one that works flawless in
Gnome Ubuntu. I had headaches with this too.

In my experience there are 3 solutions;
1 there is a security setting "somewhere" in MS 2003 server to change.
Never got that one working and not recommended
2 for each user you can automount via a script the share in question;
mount -t cifs //ip-numberofserver/servershare /mount/validmountdir -o
username='validserverusername',password='passwordofsameuseronserver'
this works though it is a very crude solution. SMB protocol does not
3 install the Gnome VFS + openoffice.org integration. works after that
but user will be asked for password 2-3 extra times

Sinclair