Cannot remove flash memory

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Wed Nov 29 19:27:32 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 29/11/06, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rob Blomquist wrote:
>>> I don't use it.
>>>
>>> Just see that all programs are shut down that were accessing the drive, and
>>> remove it. the remove safely stuff is to allow novices not to corrupt it,
>>> under both Winders and Linux.
>>>
>>> Rob
>> I disagree slightly with Rob here. In my experience many files do not
>> get written to the USB flash until you actually do "Safely Remove", that
>> could also explain activity on the flash memory after hitting "Safely
>> Remove". If it is a lot of files or a big files it can take time.
>>
>> Many times I copied files, pulled the usb out and moved to another PC
>> only to find the files were never actually copied - despite being
>> visible in Konqueror.
>>
>> Sinclair
>>

> That is correct- the files do not get written until I do "Remove
> Safely". Then the led stays on until I reboot the machine- I have even
> let it sit overnight to see if it would finish. This is with all
> programs closed, even konqueror. I right-click the desktop icon to do
> the removal. So I doubt that anything is accessing the drive.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com/what_is/html_email.html
> http://song-lirics.com/

Dotan,

If after you have right clicked on the desktop icon and clicked the
'Remove Safely' option, if you then go to Konqueror > Services (tab on
the left pane) > Storage Media, is the device still listed as mounted?
(Before you physically remove the device it will still be listed under
'Storage Media'). You can right click on the device and if there is an
option to 'Mount' then you know that it has been unmounted (Safely
Remove[d]' already.

HTH

Blessings,

Nigel