{dapper] KDE apps won't display gif

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Nov 29 19:21:07 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 13:55, Art Alexion wrote:
>Just realized that, since upgrading to dapper from breezy the kde apps
> lost the ability to display graphics in gif format.  They display fine
> in firefox and the gimp, just kde apps.
>
>I have a feeling this has to do with the non-free thing, but how do I
> restore this functionality?

Huh?  ALL the restrictions on the .gif format due to patents on the
compression method used have now expired, the last one on the planet this
past June or July, so we should once again see fresh .gif renderers and
generators out there in the wild.  Unless there's simply no real reason
to do so.  There are now, many image formats that superceed .gif and its
limited color palette and have found moderatly wide usage while the .gif
scene was frozen.  .png comes to mind as the best example.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)