Cannot remove flash memory

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 15:22:26 UTC 2006

On 29/11/06, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rob Blomquist wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 November 2006 21:17, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >> Whenever I need to remove flash memory (USB disk on key, SD card in
> >> USB card reader, etc) I right click the desktop icon for the device,
> >> and click "remove safely". At that point, the icon disappears, but the
> >> LED on the USB unit turns on, and never turns off. So I cannot remove
> >> the device. I must power the computer off in order to remove it. What
> >> can I do to resolve this issue? I'm on Ubuntu 6.10 with the KDE
> >> desktop.
> >
> > I don't use it.
> >
> > Just see that all programs are shut down that were accessing the drive, and
> > remove it. the remove safely stuff is to allow novices not to corrupt it,
> > under both Winders and Linux.
> >
> > Rob
> I disagree slightly with Rob here. In my experience many files do not
> get written to the USB flash until you actually do "Safely Remove", that
> could also explain activity on the flash memory after hitting "Safely
> Remove". If it is a lot of files or a big files it can take time.
>
> Many times I copied files, pulled the usb out and moved to another PC
> only to find the files were never actually copied - despite being
> visible in Konqueror.
>
> Sinclair

That is correct- the files do not get written until I do "Remove
Safely". Then the led stays on until I reboot the machine- I have even
let it sit overnight to see if it would finish. This is with all
programs closed, even konqueror. I right-click the desktop icon to do
the removal. So I doubt that anything is accessing the drive.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/html_email.html
http://song-lirics.com/