Card reader

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Nov 23 14:08:35 UTC 2006

Hawkwind wrote:

> On 11/23/06, *Neil Winchurst* <neil at holsdevon.eclipse.co.uk
> <mailto:neil at holsdevon.eclipse.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     I am using kubuntu edgy. I have just acquired a card reader which I am
>     told will make it easy to copy photos from the card in my Canon camera
>     to my computer. Of course the CD which comes with the card is for
>     Windows only.
>
>     Can anyone tell me what I should do to enable my computer to work with
>     the card reader please?
>
>     If it is relevant it is an external card reader and the maker is
>     Sweex.
>
>     Thanks
>
>     Neil Winchurst
>
>     --
>

> Put your card in it, type as root: tail -f /var/log/messages  and look
> for the device it says it is.  Mount it with something similar to this
> command:
>
> sudo mkdir /mnt/camera && sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera
>
> Replace sda1 with whatever device it says it is in the tail command above.
>
> Then copy the files from /mnt/camera to whereever you want them.
> Enjoy the rest of your day.
>

> --
> With kind regards,
>
> Cliff Wade (Hawkwind)
> Registered Linux User #362532 Registered Kubuntu User #331
> http://seerofsouls.com http://linuxfordummies.org
> http://urpmi-addmedia.org
> IRC Channels (irc.freenode.net <http://irc.freenode.net>): #LFD
> #Kubuntu #Ulteo

It may be easier to replace "sudo mkdir /mnt/camera && sudo mount
/dev/sda1 /mnt/camera" with just "pmount /dev/sda1 camera". This will
let you mount the contents of the card as your user and create the
directory "camera" in /media. To un-mount you use "pumount camera" then
"eject sda1" to safely remove it. But that's all if you don't get the
normal pop-up that opens when you insert a card.

Tez