Downloading _big_ files: problem, and solution.

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Nov 21 13:20:05 UTC 2006

Mitch Thompson wrote:

> Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:
>> I have started downloading the .iso file for burning an OS DVD.
>>
>> Problem:
>>
>> - The file is _BIG_ (3.4 GB) and the download takes around six days.
>>
>> - The power supply here in Paraguay does not last that long without power
>> cuts, specially at this time of the year.
>>
>> -When the UPS battery runs out the computer shuts down in an orderly
> manner,
>> closing all the progs that are running at the time.
>>
>> -And when you close down Konqueror in the middle of a download it deletes
> the
>> xxx.iso.part file.

This surprised me...

> Better solution methinks;
> Either use Ktorrent if possible (will nicely resume downloading but can
> take for ever)
> or download KGet and use it as download manager, will also allow resume
> of downloads - given that the site in question allows it.

And I think this explains it - I've installed KGet, and whenever Konqueror
downloads a file it uses KGet automatically, so the files do get resumed.
I'm not sure that ktorrent would be any kind of improvement, as (at least
aiui) torrent works best when somebody nearby on the network has a copy.
--
derek