[OT] would new cpu help firefox 2

golfer golfbuf at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 03:02:51 UTC 2006

On 11/20/06, Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/20/06, D. Michael McIntyre <michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 20 November 2006 5:07 pm, SteVe Cook wrote:
> > > I've using a similar setup to you and Firefox ran OK until, as J├╝rgen
> > > suggests, I hit some dodgy Java, then the cpu load rocketed up.  I've
> >
> > Me three.  I'm having this problem with Konqueror and Firefox both on my
> > wife's machine.  Bad Java gobbles up a 2 GHz P4 with 512 MB of RAM.
> >
> > Now that I think about it, I've played with the same Java stuff on this box,
> > and haven't seen the symptom here.  I have 1024 MB of RAM, and suspect this
> > is the difference.  It's probably a slow memory leak, and I have a bigger
> > bucket.
>
> Man, and I've been sad b/c Firefox won't detect my Java...  drawback
> of using Java 1.6 Beta 2...  but I will code on!

I'm not using any extensions.  Because of slowness on dapper, with
ff-1.5, I had been using script block to block most javascript.  But,
I had heard that ff-2 had a newer javascript so have been trying
without any extensions.  I only have flash-7, sun-java-1.5, realplayer
as plugins.  But, is it the sun java or the javascript that's the
problem?  I thought it's the javascript.

Well, maybe it's time to try script block on ff-2.

regards,