Advice for possible convert to Ubuntu

Kaj Haulrich kaj at haulrich.net
Sat Nov 18 14:20:52 UTC 2006

On Saturday 18 November 2006 14:04, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:
> On Monday 13 November 2006 17:52, my mailbox was graced by a
> missive
>
>  from Vayu <vayu at sklinks.com> who wrote:
> > If you want a root user you can do that, it's just not the
> > default.
>
> Good; I suppose I'll have to $ sudo passwd root for that ?
>
> > I'm not sure what issue you are having.  Do the install, the
> > user created during the install will be your user (who you can
> > consider as root user when that user uses sudo).  Then add new
> > users.  Each of the subsequent users will not have any admin
> > abilities.
>
> My problem: Elder Son has his box in his room.
>
> He is the only user on that box, and would be the user created at
> install.
>
> He is the only user on that box, and I do _not_ wont to give him
> sudo access to wreck his box.
>
> Up to now, with Mdk 10.1, for any admin work on it I either go to
> his room and log in as root, remote ssh as root, or use Webmin.
>
> So I'll need some sysadmin account on his box, and would like to
> take the easiest way and use root, instead of creating an admin
> which will need sudo anyway..

I can't really see the difference.  If you are the one to set up his
box, just use your own account. Then create your son as a new user.
He will not have the power to do harm.  If something needs root
access, just use your own account, log out. Done.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*** Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer ***
********* Running Linux (Kubuntu 6.10) *********