Scanning with HP OfficeJet 4255

Bry Melvin brymelvin at melvinart.com
Thu Nov 16 17:07:29 UTC 2006

--- Kaj Haulrich <kaj at haulrich.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 16 November 2006 08:50, Dotan Cohen
> wrote:
> > How can I get the scanner in my HP OfficeJet 4255
> operating under
> > Linux? I see that I need something called sane,
> but I don't know
> > what to do with it. Any tips?
>
> SANE = Scanner Access Now Easy.  You will probably
> need the
> front-end to sane which is xsane.  Just :
> 'sudo apt-get install xsane'
>
> This wil place a menu item in K --> Graphics -->
> XSane Imgae
> Scanner.
>
> Connect the scanner, start XSane and see if it finds
> the scanner.
>
> Those multi-function gadgets (printer+scanner) are
> tricky, but you
> can peruse this site :
>
> http://www.sane-project.org/
>
> Kaj Haulrich.
> --
> *** Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer ***
> ********* Running Linux (Kubuntu 6.10) *********

the sane site is lacking many recent HP all in ones.
Ubuntu606 implemetation is lacking some of them
scanning as well

There are bug reports regarding this.

The good news is HPILP is easy to compile
the cource (from HP via sourceforge has complet
documentation on the process, to include what
libarairies are necessary to do the job.

Compiling the latest version will get all the
functions working if the distro version doesn;t let
you scanner scan.

And you Need a front end, but not necessarily Xsane

Look for Kooka...I think it is part of a default
install of Kubunt.

Bryann