nvidia

Mitch Thompson mitchthompson at satx.rr.com
Tue Nov 14 11:31:53 UTC 2006

Etienne wrote:
>> De : Mitch Thompson mitchthompson at satx.rr.com
>>

>>> I tried to change it in system settings / ../ monitor display to 1024*768
>>>
>>> However my update was not kept by the system and I have now a 800*600 resolution that I can't >>change anymore.
>>>
>>> What should I do to  ?
>>>

>> Try re-running the setup script:
>>

>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>>

> thanks for the reply. With that script, I have recovered my initial screen resolution. However I am still unable to setup a mid range resolution, round 1024 768.
>
> It is unexplainable because it does work with a mandriva
>
> etienne

My only other suggestion would be to start the Control Center (by
default, should be the wrench icon on your task bar at the bottom), then
select Peripherals --> Monitor & Display (Screen Configuration Editor)

 From there, go into Administrator mode. NOTE: You may have to expand
the window, for some reason, it is hidden at the bottom.  Also note:
when I enter the sudo password here, that window goes blank until I
resize it.  You may have to, as well.

Then, go to the Hardware tab, and make sure your monitor and video card
are correctly selected.  In my case, I have an nvidia 6800 clone card.
My monitor (Microtek) does not appear in the list, so I usually select a
Flat Panel 1280x1024.

Once you've done that, and applied the new settings, you may have to
restart X (CTRL-ALT-Backspace) then log back in.  Go back to this same
place and see if the slider bar on the "Size, Orientation & Positioning"
Tab will allow you to select the resolution you want.  You might have to
try different "Generic" monitor settings to get what you want, also.

Hope this helps.  Setting up X is much easier than it used to be.
You'll find the right settings fairly quickly, I'm sure.

--
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire,
a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should