Kubuntu connectivity to Win XP

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 14 02:55:30 UTC 2006

Three days ago just after I migrated to KDE (Kubuntu) from GNOME (Ubuntu) I
was able to freely access my desktop computer (Win XP), my router, and my DSL
modem.  I could not do so under GNOME.  Here is the network structure in more
detail:

laptop wireless: 	192.168.1.111, eth0
laptop wired:     	192.168.1.11, eth1
desktop;			192.168.1.10
router:               	192.168.1.109
DSL modem:      	192.168.1.254

Two days ago I edited my /etc/iftab and /etc/network/interfaces files and
replaced "eth0" (previously referred to my wired) with "eth1" (previously
referred to my wireless) and vice versa.  This allowed my wireless to become
my default gateway, and stopped me from having to access my network manager
window every time I logged into the laptop to use my network.

I am able to gain access to the internet and my printer connected to the
desktop.  I am able to see my laptop-linux shared drive from the Win XP
desktop.  I cannot log into the desktop using the smb:// address, the router
setup page, or the modem setup page from my Linux laptop.  Win XP username,
passwd, and workgroup name are set the same as Linux.  This is precisely
where I was at under GNOME and before I setup KDE.

When I ping out to my desktop in a terminal window linux tries to send packets
on eth1.  I am speculating samba is trying to do the same, despite the fact
that I did set the interfaces portion in the global section
of /etc/samba/smb.conf to send out on eth0.  Perhaps there is another config
file that needs eth0/eth1 switched?  ifconfig/iwconfig both show correct
assignments for my ports.  The ping command not going out on the right port
suggest to me that somewhere linux is confused, might not just be a samba
issue.

Just to make sure that my switching eth0 with eth1 was not the cause, I undid
the changes in the /etc/iftab and /etc/network/interfaces files and restarted
the laptop.  This had no affect, so now not only is my laptop confused, so am
I!

How do I go about troubleshooting this?

Larry