hard replacement

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sun Nov 12 22:20:13 UTC 2006

On Sunday 12 November 2006 4:41 pm, Thomas Sperre wrote:

> It is possible some extra precautions should be taken when moving /, such
> as running from a live CD or live DVD?

Nah, it should be OK.  I've copied / from one place to a bigger place lots of
times on a running system.  The main thing is don't try to
copy /dev, /proc, /sys, and maybe a few other /blah directories now.  What
is /srv?  Just create empty directories on the new partition.

Don't copy whatever place you have the new partition mounted.  That's an easy
dumb-dumb to do.  Another one is if you are building a new / but want to keep
an existing /home, then don't copy /home.

And so forth.  Just random comments without bothering to read your link.  Hope
I'm not beating a dead horse and/or leading anyone down a wrong path by being
lazy and shooting my mouth off without reading the whole context.

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Author of Rosegarden Companion http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/
See my new music stand unfolding at http://users.adelphia.net/~silvan/