Continuous Error Code in TTY consoles

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 12 21:13:45 UTC 2006

On Sunday 12 November 2006 09:14, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 08:16:00 -0500
>
> Larry Hartman <larryhartman50 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > This was all good until I loaded the libdvdcss and the libdvdcss2 modules
> > to play proprietary format dvd's.  Now I am back to the same issue.  It
> > is definitely an automount concern, the error goes away when the drive
> > contains a disk.
>
> That's strange indeed. Libdvdcss(2) shouldn't have any consequences for
> mounting or not.
>
> It does look like your drive is continuously trying to read a disk that
> isn't there. Meaning some app is trying to read from it, thus mounting it
> or keeping it mounted.
>
> That wouldn't be 'kaffeine' (or the likes) sitting in your tray by any
> chance? <ALT><F4> or clicking the "close" button doesn't stop it, you need
> <CTRL><q> or "quit" from the "file" menu for that.

Good idea, but no joy.  The error starts during the Kubuntu startup at the
Hardware Abstraction Layer prior to xstart.  Someone at church this morning
made the remark that maybe I dont have the proper driver.  I will be looking
in this direction for a while.  Its frustrating/annoying, but doesnt make my
system inoperable, my CPU speed is still pretty low.  I just can not use my
TTYs...wondering though if it causes needless wear on my cd/dvd drive.