Continuous Error Code in TTY consoles

H.J.Bathoorn triade-lists at zeelandnet.nl
Sat Nov 11 23:14:43 UTC 2006

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 17:22:33 -0500
Larry Hartman <larryhartman50 at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Interesting....I dont believe it is dying, the laptop is not a year old and
> the drive worked perfectly with MS Windows XP just last week.  Neither can it
> be a badly burnt or damaged disk, since the drive is empty.  Personally I am
> leaning toward a configuration file/setting of some sort.  I noticed on this
> last bootup that the error began at the hardware abstraction layer hald.  I
> am wondering if something is telling LINUX to try to read the drive despite
> the fact that nothing is in it.  I am at a loss to know where to begin
> looking for such a file.  Having said all of this you did confirm that it was
> as issue involving the CD/DVD drive--which brings me a quarter step closer to
> a solution.
>
> Larry

Take a look at what "dmesg" tells you about these errors, should be mentioned there somewhere.
Another place to keep an eye on is "/var/log/messages" which you can follow using : 'tail -f /var/log/messages' as command.

Another thing is to check system services (system settings -> advanced -> system services) and look if  'laptop-mode" is running. If it is, stop it and see if these error messages go away. If so, disable that service at boot time ........ your laptop will run fine without it. It's only needed/used for power saving by spinning down a drive that hasn't been accessed for a while.

--

Good luck,
HarM.