Dual boot: cannot access windows

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Nov 11 09:43:18 UTC 2006

Jody Storme wrote:
> On Saturday 11 November 2006 03:22, Eduard Bonet wrote:
>
>> It works! Pretty easy! Thanks, Jody.
>> Now just for curiosity: what is the exact function of chainloader? Is it
>> the same as chain-loading? I have checked the grub tutorial but it is not
>> clear to me, specially because in the ubuntu forum someone said that
>> chainloader can be used to synchronise the grubs between two ubuntu distros
>> installed in different partitions.
>>

> As far as I understand it, chainloader simply hands control over to the
> Windows XP boot loader (ntldr) that's installed in that partition.
>
> Glad it works!
>
> Cheers,
> Jody

Yes, chainloader simply tells GRUB to start another boot loader. That
can be ntldr, or even another GRUB on another disk or partition.
>From the GRUB info pages:
-- Command: chainloader [`--force'] file
     Load FILE as a chain-loader. Like any other file loaded by the
     filesystem code, it can use the blocklist notation to grab the
     first sector of the current partition with `+1'. If you specify the
     option `--force', then load FILE forcibly, whether it has a
     correct signature or not. This is required when you want to load a
     defective boot loader, such as SCO UnixWare 7.1

Tez