Dual boot: cannot access windows

Vayu vayu at sklinks.com
Fri Nov 10 21:41:49 UTC 2006

Eduard Bonet wrote:
> 2006/11/10, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse at iserv.net <mailto:jjesse at iserv.net>>:
>
>     When you install Windows it overwrites the master boot record (mbr) so
>     that is correct Windows needs to be isntaleld first.  but i
>     thought I saw
>     something on the wiki for recusing a system like that
>     > Windows needs to be installed first.  I think it needs to be
>     near the
>     > boot sector or something like that.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Eduard Bonet wrote:
>     >> Hello,
>     >>
>     >> I have been running edgy (hdc3) and one hour ago i have installed
>     >> windows (hdc1). Well, just after installing windows i could not
>     start
>     >> (nor even have the option) edgy, so i decided to use the
>     alternate cd
>     >> to reinstall the grub. Now the grub only allows to run edgy;
>     where is
>     >> windows?
>     >>
>     >> Help is truly needed because i need to use spss, a windows
>     programe.
>     >>
>     >> Eduard
>     >
>     >
>     > --
>     > kubuntu-users mailing list
>     > kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>     <mailto:kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>     >
>     >

> Thanks for the answers!
> Yes, but I also saw something around saying it is possible to install
> windows after kubuntu, but i misunderstood it thinking that it was
> only a matter of recovering grub. Well, i will wait just in case
> someone in this list can help me, because otherwise i will have to
> reinstall windows and edgy.

I could be wrong but my impression is that windows needs to be installed
first because it needs to have it's partition in proximity to the boot
record.   The reinstall grub trick is in the case that you had a
properly placed windows and reinstalled it.  The reinstall would have
overwritten the MBR and reinstall grub at that point will get you your
Linux back.