desktop search

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 00:45:35 UTC 2006

D. Michael McIntyre said the following at 11/07/2006 05:07 PM :
> On Tuesday 07 November 2006 5:19 pm, D. R. Evans wrote:
>> Is it just me, or does desktop search basically suck in Kubuntu?
>
> I think I feel old.  I have no idea what any of this thread is about.  I use
> find, slocate and grep, in various combinations.

Basically, this thread is about being able to find something that you
vaguely recall from a year ago, but it might be in a document, or an
e-mail, or an IM, and you really can't remember much about it except that
you know that it was a discussion about why cricket is more interesting
than baseball.

find and its buddies are not a lot of help for that sort of thing, since
many of the formats of these files aren't ASCII. And the old tools can also
be incredibly slow, since you have probably accumulated many gigabytes of
data in the past year.

It is amazing to me that it's not only faster to find stuff on the Internet
than it is on my hard drive, but it's orders of magnitude faster.

  Doc