Apt Dependency Issue-libdivxdecore0-binary

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 6 17:15:29 UTC 2006

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Can't configure mplayer because
> libdivxdecore0-binary(apparent virtual pkg) won't
> allow installation of libdivxdecore0 and
> libdivxencore0 which are mplayer depends. Apt-get and
> aptitude -f install doesn't do it yielding same
> errors. Can't purge or remove libdivxdecore0-binary.
> Snaptic didn't work either as I tried the upgrade with
> it first. Any suggestions appreciated. Output
> follows:(very long-didn't snip anything).

[SNIP]
> dpkg: error processing
>
> (--unpack):

> /var/cache/apt/archives/libdivxdecore0_1%3a5.0.1-1_i386.deb
> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code
> (1)

I think this part of the error is the problem. Specifically "trying to
overwrite `/usr/lib/libdivxdecore.so.0.0.0', which is also in package
libdivxdecore0-binary"
This is saying that the file "/usr/lib/libdivxdecore.so.0.0.0" is in
both libdivxdecore0-binary and libdivxencore0.
To fix this you need to use a but of dpkg magic: --force-overwrite
You need to run:
$ sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite
'/var/cache/apt/archives/libdivxdecore0_1%3a5.0.1-1_i386.deb'
That will install the package, then you can "sudo aptitude -f install" again

Tez