connect two computers for file sharing

Bry Melvin brymelvin at melvinart.com
Mon Nov 6 16:45:02 UTC 2006

--- "Donatas G." <dgvirtual at akl.lt> wrote:

> How do I connect two computers for file transfer
> under kubuntu dapper?
>
> They both have lan cards and I can connect them
> using a lan cable, but after
> that - I am lost :)
>
> First I guess I have to assign both computers manual
> IPs, and then? What
> packages should I install to make full use of the
> KDE built in file sharing
> (I mean, the System settings module Sharing > file
> sharing and the options
> that become available upon selecting Properties of a
> directory in a konqueror
> window... Is there a howto about this anywhere?
>

> --
> Donatas Glodenis
> http://dg.lapas.info

First connecting them to each other by a lan cable is
not going o work.

If you connect lan cables from both to a switch or hub
that will

If you are connecting them together otherwise you need
a CROSSOVER network cable they are often color coded
orange.

You can then assign them ip adresses in a private
range
make the one connected to the internet a gateway etc.

ex you could use 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
255.255.255.0 for a subnet mask.

If you are conecting them to the internet I recommend
setting up Firestarter Firewall.

For file sharing you could use SAMBA or NFS.

to keep from turning this email into a thesis I
recommend you look at the networking sections of "the
unnofficial ununtu guide....   ubuntuguide.org

Bryann