Setting MTU

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 12:51:08 UTC 2006

On Monday 06 November 2006 5:37 am, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> When I check ifconfig, I see that my mtu is 1500. However, my ISP said
> that I should change it to 1392. So:
>
> $ sudo ifconfig mtu 1392
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> mtu: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> $
>
> Also, I connect via a Level1 router. Must I change the mtu in the
> router as well? Thanks in advance.

I would set that on the router's interface, and let it translate that out.
That way you could have more than one thing attached to the router and the
two internal devices could use the default, while the router would adjust
things for going out on the internet. This would keep you from having to
remember to adjust the MTU for every device you plug in.
If I'm not mistaken my Linksys adjusts itself for that on its own, as I think
I saw something to that affect when I was prowling around in it.
But, I could be thinking of something else. . .

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

http://risenbooks.com Christian bookstore