Can't start DVD iso installation...

Johnny Ernst Nielsen j_e_n_pub at yahoo.dk
Sun Nov 5 17:47:51 UTC 2006

Greetings,

I am trying to install kubuntu 6.10 from the DVD iso i fetched from
the british mirror (the only place I could find a DVD iso image - I'm
not on the torrent system).
The iso's MD5sum is fine, and when burnt the media validates just fine
with the GRUB option to validate the media.

However, when I select to "Install or start kubuntu" I never get to
the live desktop.
X just shows a blue screen for a couple of seconds, then a black
screen, then a blue screen, black, blue, <infinite loop>

I have tried appending all the meningful boot options i could find in
the GRUB F1 help, but no luck.

The help describes a "boot:"-prompt.
I never see such a prompt. I get the GRUB menu where I can select OEM
install, media validation, etc.
F6 seems the only place to add boot options, and I have tried
appending options here.

It is an old computer, but it has had no problem instaling the latest
SUSE Linux desktop environment from DVD.

Has anyone heard of this problem before?

Best regards

Johnny :o)