trouble migrating LVM from IDE to SATA

Felipe Figueiredo philsf at ufrj.br
Sat Nov 4 19:12:37 UTC 2006

Hello,

I am trying to create two VGs in my new SATA2 HD to replace my IDE HD, but
vgcreate refuses to create anything, as it complains that the PVs are not
PVs. That is in spite of pvcreate succesfully reporting it created the PVs. I
tried several times creating and removing. Follow results from -d (debug)
and -v (verbose) of creation process.

philsf at peralta:~$ sudo pvcreate -v -d /dev/sda[567]
    Set up physical volume for "/dev/sda5" with 39069633 available sectors
    Zeroing start of device /dev/sda5
  Physical volume "/dev/sda5" successfully created
    Set up physical volume for "/dev/sda6" with 39069633 available sectors
    Zeroing start of device /dev/sda6
  Physical volume "/dev/sda6" successfully created
    Set up physical volume for "/dev/sda7" with 271353468 available sectors
    Zeroing start of device /dev/sda7
  Physical volume "/dev/sda7" successfully created

After which I tried:

philsf at peralta:~$ sudo vgcreate vg /dev/sda5 /dev/sda6 /dev/sda7
  No physical volume label read from /dev/sda5
  /dev/sda5 not identified as an existing physical volume
  Unable to add physical volume '/dev/sda5' to volume group 'vg'.

Now when I see this, I can't determine if the problem is with vgcreate not
recognizing the PVs, or pvcreate not creating them correctly. So I tried the
following

philsf at peralta:~$ sudo pvscan

and the only PVs that appear, are the ones in use (from my IDE hard drive). I
can't seem to find any option in pvscan to force it to look in /dev/sda, but
so far, it really seems the partitions aren't PVs yet, right? Wrong. If out
of curiosity I issue another "create", I get an error:

philsf at peralta:~$ sudo pvcreate /dev/sda7
  Failed to write physical volume "/dev/sda7"

And I am able to pvremove it normally (only once). So my guess is that the
PV's are indeed getting created, but not recognized later. This only happens
in my SATA hard drive.

I am kind of lost here, anybody knows what's going on?

regards
FF