Strange problem with cups

Carlos Barros barros001 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 23:12:29 UTC 2006

HI all..
Yesterday I found out a very strange behavior in cups..
I have a kubuntu machine conected localy to a printer (okipage 4w).
It works just fine... Then, I have another machine (a notebook) running
kubuntu too, and I wanted to print using a remote cups server, located in the
first machine..
So, I edite /etc/cups/cups.d/ports.conf and changed it in order to cups listen
in my local network. In the notebook, I opened the printer wizard and selected
remove print server (CUPS/IPP), entered my server IP. Now, it showed me the
printer attached in my server, so I selected it, then selected the
correct driver.
Well, everything has gone well, but...
When I print something from the notebook, I get some strange lines printed,
looks like some printer commands, but not the page itself.
I made some tests using a mandriva as cups server, and get the same problem..
In my work, I have the same configuration (the print server is running madriva)
but the client is a slackware configured via cups web interface.. it
works like a
charm, but when I setup a kubuntu to print to the same printer, again
I get some
commands printed..
A interesting thing, is that if I use SMB to print, it works just fine!

anyone got this problem??
regards

Carlos Barros