Installing F-Spot in Kubuntu

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 07:59:08 UTC 2006

On 02/11/06, claydoh <claydoh at claydoh.com> wrote:
> I use the search tools at http://packages.ubuntu.com as I  don't really know
> all the apt command switches all that well yet. I simply installed allt the
> f-spot build dependencies (for Edgy):
>         sudo apt-get build-dep f-spot

Hey, that got ./configure passing! Thanks. As that is listed on the
F-Spot wiki as being necessary for Dapper and not Edgy, I didn't do it
from the beginning.

> This installed about 24 packages iirc, then I installed the packages listed on
> f-spot's website http://f-spot.org/How_To_Build_from_Release :
>         sudo apt-get install automake1.9 build-essential intltool libtool
>
> These might be installed in build-dep section, I already had them installed

Also listed in the F-Spot wiki as being for Dapper only.

> And then the 3 remaining packages mentioned on the website:
>         sudo apt-get install mono-gmcs libmono-sqlite2.0-cil libmono-cairo2.0-cil
>
> The configure and build went without any hitches.
>
> btw, reading the NEWS file in the source tarball, xmp write support has been
> in f-spot since version 0.1.4, though almost every version since mentions
> improvements in that area. I don't actually use the program so I can't see
> any differences between ububtu's 0.2.1 and 0.2.2 . It seems to be a very nice
> and speedy image program, however

XMP write support has been built in, but not read support. So, in
order to read the tags of previous F-Spot installations, one needs
0.2.2.

Thanks, Clay.

Dotan Cohen

http://english-lyrics.com/