new kernel, what did I miss?

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Wed Nov 1 18:51:30 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 01 November 2006 5:33 am, Finn Jespersen wrote:

> The "cute graphical thingie" comes with frame buffer (text) boot. If you
> want the full text telling you what goes on during boot do the following:

Framebuffer.  That's the word I was trying to remember.  So I bet I somehow
built the new kernel with no framebuffer support, which is why I'm getting a
black screen.

> root=UUID=b02e6475-695f-4529-bd93-ca36dbac752a ro quiet splash

Out of curiosity, what's this "UUID=b02e6[...]" coming from?  That's unusual.

> "vga=0x318" gives you text resolution 1024x768. Other resolutions:
>
> 	0x31b = 1280x1024

Ah, this is helpful too.  I have an LCD monitor, and I needed to fix that
sooner or later regardless.

> Hope that helps.

We'll see, but I expect so.  Thank you.  You've refreshed my memory if nothing
else.  It has been a long time since I ran a distro that tried to pretty up
the boot process, and I forgot all about how it worked.

I could, of course, have tried to STFW first too.  I'm out of practice asking
questions.  :D

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Author of Rosegarden Companion http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/