SCIM and other language characters -- documentation?

Gabriel Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Wed May 31 23:50:00 BST 2006

I actually copied the .kde folder directly from Knoppix and replaced the
Dapper/Breezy one. This did indeed change my fonts but the result was the
same, half of them being replaced by a dot. I did check the locale of Knoppix
and it was set to "C" whereas my locale is set to en_GB in Dapper/Breezy -
could this be a reason? However when using the C locale in Knoppix I can see
Chinese webpages but the files on my computer that have Chinese names don't
display correctly.

Incidentally about 4 days I did sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop and have
been using Gnome since. Unfortunately it suffers from the exact same problems
with Chinese characters as KDE does. I thought if my system was UTF8 it could
easily do Chinese and more.