Kubuntu/Kmail and S/MIME - Is it supported (working) for Dapper

Scott Kitterman kubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed May 31 15:06:11 UTC 2006

I tried to do S/MIME with Kmail using Dapper Flight 7 and it did not appear to
be supported (at least as initially installed).  Unfortunately, S/MIME is an
absolute requirement for some of my customers (please no GPG versus S/MIME
flames - I didn't pick it).  As a result, I'm not using Kubuntu at the
moment.  I'd like to switch to it as, with that one critical (for me)
exception it seemed really solid and useable for my desktop.

I'd like to know if anyone has gotten Kmail and S/MIME working with Dapper?
From what I've Googled, it seems to be a mixed story.  I've tried this before
on other Debian derived distributions with no luck.

This bug talks about gnugp-agent not working (but for GPG):
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/gnupg2/+bug/42086

Additionally, there is this KDE bug in 3.5.2:
http://bugs.kde.org/127389

I know it didn't work out of the box (as it does on some other distributions).
I'm willing to do some work to get it going on Kubuntu, but I'd like to have
some confidence that it is, in fact, an achievable goal before I start.

Anyone out there have any luck with this?

Scott K