Problems with Dapper RC1 and KDE 3.5

Joe Hart j.hart at hccnet.nl
Sun May 28 06:48:16 UTC 2006

Thanks for the quick reply.  I of course in the meantime did some
googling....

golfer wrote:

> Yes, try rebooting into recovery mode, which should stop at a root
> terminal prompt before starting X.  Then you can look at the
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log* files and trouble shoot.  Also, "nano
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf" will let you edit the config file.

I'm glad you said to use nano and not vi or emacs.  nano = easy

> Keep looking at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log and google any warning or
> crash type messages you see.  Eventually it will be found.

I traced the problem to the ati drivers.  It doesn't make sense to me
that if it is known that the ati drivers that ship with kubuntu are bad,
why don't they put the newest version in Dapper?  I found the site
http://wiki.cchthm.com which is the headquarters for ati drivers for
Linux, and they have a nice Ubuntu installation guide that gives a
walktrough on installing the drivers.  I know the drivers are
proprietary, but certainly there is a better way.

The way I see it, everyone who has a recent ATI video card will run into
the same problem if the final version of Dapper doesn't have the updated
driver.  Specifically I'm referring to frglx.

One thing is sure, I am learning a lot about Linux in the process, which
is only a good thing.

Since Dapper didn't work, I installed Mandriva.  It works fine, but I
don't like it.  I prefer the apt-get packaging, so it's back to dapper
and see if I can fix it.

Note, that I did install Ubuntu Breezy, then upgraded it to Dapper, then
installed Kubuntu-desktop, which is almost the same thing, but I wanted
to try a fresh Kubuntu, hence the RC.  I think it would also be wise for
me to read a lot more.  The Debian Reference really helps,
unfortunately, much of that information is old and doesn't apply to
Kubuntu, but there is enough that does to make it a worthy read.

chroot is particularly intriguing.

I'll keep plugging away.  I'm sure I get rid of my Windows XP eventually
(much to my wife's dismay).

regards,

---
When the count's 3 and 2, what do you do?