More grief with Chinese characters :(

Gabriel Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Sun May 28 06:17:28 UTC 2006

Hi, I've been battling on with Breezy hoping that the lack of SKIM and it's
problem with displaying Chinese would be fixed in Dapper. I'm running dapper
now and am pleased that at least SKIM is present.

However all chinese webpages and most KDE apps display only half of the
Chinese characters properly, the other half are replaced by dots. The ones
that are displayed are the correct characters.

If I bootup into a Knoppix Live CD and do the same thigs the Chinese is
displayed flawlessly. I looked at the KDE settings for fonts and languages in
Knoppix and adjusted the settings in Dapper to reflect the Knoppix one but
this didn't change anything.

Another annoying thing is that the Chinese characters look blurred and unclear
in Dapper, under Knoppix they are very sharp and clear. I find it difficult
to convey this problem clearly so I took a screen shot of a Chinese website,
displayed under Knoppix 4:
http://wheresgabe.frih.net/backup/images/baidu-jay-knoppix4.png

And the same page displayed under Dapper:
http://wheresgabe.frih.net/backup/images/baidu-jay-dapper2.png

Under Dapper I even set the default language to Chinese and this altered the
Konqueror menus and even these don't display properly. At the moment I must
still reboot in to windows to use Chinese properly, even when I type using
SKIM most of the characters are missing. What's wrong with Kubuntu
Breezy/Dapper?

Cheers,
Gabe