Where does Kontact Keeps my personal data: email, calendar

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Wed May 24 21:30:44 UTC 2006

On Wed, 24 May 2006 10:18 pm, Didier Raboud wrote:
> Le Mercredi 24 Mai 2006 14:09, OOzy Pal a écrit :
> > Where does Kontact keeps my personal data: email, calendar, etc.
>
> Depends on the program :
>
> Mails:
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail

You sure about that?  Every kmail version I've used has stored the actual mail
in ~/Mail in maildir format.  The directory above is where the account
details and disconnected imap caches etc are stored.  Kmail's main
configuration file is in ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc

> Contacts:
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc
> Calendar
> ~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer
>
> > What is the file format?
>
> Well... Good question.
> Probably standard. :D

The address book is plain old vCard (.vcf) and the calendar is vCalendar
(.ics).  Simple, plain-text formats, and very much cross-platform and
inter-application friendly.  Unless, of course the platform or application
mentions a certain software maker from Redmond WA in which case all bets are
off and all standards ignored. ;)

Cheers,

James
--
May a hundred thousand midgets invade your home singing cheesy lounge-lizard
versions of songs from The Wizard of Oz.