upgrade

David A' Rebel obsidion at ihug.co.nz
Wed May 24 10:52:14 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 22:32, Andrea Di Menna wrote:
> Alle 10:39, mercoledì 24 maggio 2006, Juan Carlos ha scritto:
> > Yes can be done,
> > i did it and for now(besides some minor problems) works fine
> > just follow this instructions
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperUpgrades
>
> I have been trying this but it all ended up with a bunch of errors.
> Have been trying switching "breezy" to "dapper" in my sources.list and with
> a dist-upgrade but somehow it wanted to delete all my KDE packages!
> Someone told me to install a package named kubuntu-desktop to force it to
> save KDE but it didn't work either that way.
>
> Any ideas?

   Did you take out the multiverse and universe lists ?,,,These can sometimes
cause problems until you have the main system upgraded. The other way is to
try the upgrade and if it takes out a lot of the kde then so be it. You then
do another update and dist-upgrade. I did do have to do a dpkg-reconfigure -a
with the first part of the upgrade this seems to be because of udev and
incompatibilities with the running kernel. Remember your kde settings will be
preserved in the .kde directory in your home folders so you won't lose any of
those..So basically if you are not on a limited download then you could do
the upgrade having it remove a lot, then when you get it back to the terminal
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop to get most of your kde back...I really
can't stress enough though you do need to back up...Mistakes can happen.

David

--
*~~~~~~~DakaR
Linux user #215413