please, please try to help me with SKIM

Gabriel Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Tue May 23 10:15:04 UTC 2006

It's not my normal policy to beg for help from anyone... I installed Dapper
from the live CD yesterday and have since been updating and tinkering with
it. What can I say.... I absolutely love it, truly honestly, Dapper is the
best thing since sliced bread. HOWEVER!

One feature that I really needed in Breezy was support for writing Chinese
characters, although there was the SCIM module available for Gnome there was
no SKIM module available for Kubuntu variant. I waited paitently for Dapper -
and here it is!

I have installed SKIM and the chinese input modules, but no matter what I try
I cannot get it to work. I should be able to press CTRL+SPACE to change
between Chinese/English but it never changes to allow me to use Chinese. I am
asking if anyone is able to tell me how to get it working (if they know) or
if they could please just run something like
sudo aptitude install scim-tables-zh
Start up SKIM (already installed by default) and see if you can change
languages.

I am really begging for help on this issue for if I can't resolve it I will be
forced to commit the cardinal sin - switch distro to something like....
[swallow hard] SuSe.

Cheers people, your time is very much appreciated.

Gabriel