Help on commands

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue May 23 07:06:44 UTC 2006

Ian Rose wrote:
> Joey W wrote:
>> Hi I am new to the linux world...
>> I just ordered a kubuntu cd from shipit.
>> All I have ever used is DOS/Windows, I am not familiar with the
>> commands for Kubuntu/Linux
>> can anyone send me a link to a Guide of commands or anything?
>>
> Two good starting points for those new to (K)ubuntu and linux in general:
>
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/ : Ubuntu forums - very helpful and
> friendly forums, if you register an account there, the search on the
> forums will usually turn up answers to your questions.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDocumentation : The user documentation
> part of the official wiki - lots of info on how to install additional
> apps, get your multimedia up and going, how to maintain and admin your
> system.
>
> and of course this mailing list, which is very well-behaved and helpful!

Of course the best way to learn the commands is to experiment with them,
you don't have to be worried about messing up your system as long as you
don't use "sudo" command.
Also have a look on google for bash commands as that is the shell you
will most likely be using.

Most of all just have fun with it, you'll be amazed at what you can do
with a couple of commands,
enough to kill a couple of hours while your waiting for a kernel to
compile :-p

Terence Simpson