Screen Lock

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue May 23 00:24:19 UTC 2006

Jim McQuiston wrote:
> Mitchell Brown wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Now that I think of it I think I've had this problem too. I think I just
>> had to reboot. Hmm. Don't know why its happening :-/
>>

> Mitchell:
>
> Here is a solution that I wrote up a while back to a problem posted on
> the Ubuntu list. Hope it helps:
>
> I have a similar problem with this in Kubuntu. You did not mention
> whether you were using KDE or Gnome. If you are using Gnome, please feel
> free to disregard the rest of this email. If you are using KDE please
> read on.
>
> KDE screensavers make use of a program called kcheckpass to authenticate
> the user upon deactivating the screensaver. If you type kcheckpass at
> the command prompt, you will be prompted for your user password. If
> kcheckpass correctly authenticates you, you will be returned to the
> command prompt with no message. If kcheckpass cannot authenticate you,
> you will be notified with a login failed message. Give this a test.
>
> If kcheckpass fails to authenticate you, use passwd at the command
> prompt to change your password and then try kcheckpass again. I will bet
> that kcheckpass will authenticate you with no problem and the
> screensaver deactivation will work just fine.

Yes, I'm using KDE, (what else would I use :-p)
When I type kcheckpass at a prompt it fails to authenticate me,
I have changed the password and restarted but it still won't work.
I have even tried reconfiguring kdebase-bin (the package kcheckpass is in)
I can't figure out why it wont work.

Terence Simpson