[breezy] Printer stopped working

aprestn5 at telus.net aprestn5 at telus.net
Wed May 17 06:02:59 UTC 2006

Quoting Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <kubuntu at mekanix.dk>:

> On Tuesday 16 May 2006 21:01, Alastair Preston wrote:
>
> > > Status right now is that the printer is flagged as "Status: stopped
> > > (accepting jobs)" in the kprinter-dialog.
> >
> > Go into CUPS configuration (http://localhost:631) and restart the printer.
>
> Well, I can't do that. I requires a login, and it's not accepting my usual
> username/password. How do I set one in CUPS (without resorting to reading
> long man-pages and command-prompts.)?

That's odd. On my Kubuntu setup, I just enter the URL in Konqueror and open
the page - it doesn't require a login. I haven't touched any of the CUPS
configuration files since I installed Kubuntu. Nor do I need to login when
accessing that URL on my Mandriva 2006 system. It's possibly a difference
between different Kubuntu releases - I'm using Kubuntu 6.0.6rc2 (kernel 2.6.15-
21-386) and CUPS 1.2rc3. The Mandriva 2006 box has their current release (not
an rc version) on it.

Alastair