Using UTC

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Tue May 16 21:49:17 UTC 2006

"Michel D'HOOGE" <michel.dhooge at gmail.com> writes:

> Precisely. So if someone (with Windows) wants to try Linux with the Kubuntu
> Live CD, unless he's Portuguese or British (in winter) he will have a
> problem with his clock :-( Not really good.

I don't remember Kubuntu's particularly, by my (poor) memory says that
all Linux and BSD installers ask you (in their own confusing way) if
your motherboard's clock (AKA CMOS clock) is set to UTC or a local
time zone and they certainly have ways to reconfigure it after the
install.

It's unfortunate that installers and misc text refers to the clock
or system clock without being clear whether they're referring to the
OS's in-memory clock or the MB's clock or both.

It's just too bad that all OSes don't have a nice manual (like
FreeBSD's Handbook) where you can easily find one or more methods of
reconfiguring it.  I sure miss that Handbook.