Xgl-Kubuntu -- Is it possible?

Lord Sauron lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Mon May 15 19:58:17 UTC 2006

On 5/15/06, Mirjam Wäckerlin <mirjam.waeckerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/15/06, Mitchell Brown <mbgb14 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Oh boy oh boy oh boy I was waiting for someone to start this ;)

Yah, this is going to be a rather long thread.   Mark it as ignored if
you don't care now, before your inbox is totally irreversibly flooded!

> > On 5/15/06, Robert Tilley <tilleyrw at cfl.rr.com > wrote:
> > > After reading so many good things about the eye candy that Xgl enables,
> > how
> > > can I install it on my Kubuntu Dapper machine?

Yes... but it's very hard.

> There is a nice HowTo: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=147711
> ATI cards could be a problem though.

You think ATI cards are a problem?  Try using a Intel Extreme Graphics
2 chip!  There's a reason no-one's ever heard of it - it's a total
piece of crap!  I hate it!  Oh well...  it's an IBM X40 - fast isn't
the goal.

> When I had installed it my KDE had some little problems - some of the
> functions of XGL were not perfectly working and KDE showed me only one
> desktop (though all of the four were still there and reachable with
> XGL). But maybe this is fixed now?

When I tried *nothing* worked.

Xgl is developed by Novell on SuSE and OpenSuSE.  Debian-based support
is almost non-existant.  To compound this problem, my fellow KDE
devotee, Xgl is developed by Gnome people.  It's tested (primarily) on
Gnome, and KDE support isn't yet really tested all that much.  If
you'd like to help improve Xgl, once you get it working, send the Xgl
project bug reports!  Help them beat M$ to having a fully 3D desktop!
(Windows Vista, due sometime in 2007, is redoing things such that
everything is rendered in Direct3D instead of GDI+).

> Anyway, just try it out :)

Please, do so!  Remember, good, educated bug reports are the best!
Only send one if you can repeat a problem.  Whatever.  I could go on
for pages about good bug report practices.  There's a 100% chance
there's a similar treatise online somewhere, so I'll shut up about
now.

--
GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+