partition

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Fri May 12 16:15:01 UTC 2006

I'm thinking this would be a BAD idea.  hda5 is your swap partition.  Without
it you have no swap memory.  It doesn't seem like it is what you want to
accomplish anyway.

Try using qparted.  I have never used it, but it is based on Partition Magic
with which I had success on "another operating system".  Before opening a
partition for editing and spliting, you have to unmount it.  If the partition
in question contains /bin, /usr or /usr/local you are going to have problems
with qparted.

In that case you have to boot from some other disc, like Kubuntu Live or
Knoppix and run qparted from there.

Doing this is going to break grub and /etc/fstab (I don't know if qparted has
tools for fixing this)  They can be fixed relatively easily, but if you don't
do it right away, it may prevent you from booting.

I say this because it appears that the partition you want to split holds your
Linux system files, and not just data.