root issues

Mitchell Brown mbgb14 at gmail.com
Fri May 12 13:47:20 UTC 2006

I don't recommend Mitch's (hey you stole my name) response. For a noob
anyways.
In linux, you never run your system as root. Ever. That's just the universal
golden rule.
You should go look at some FAQs for Linux to learn more about it. And then,
when you feel up to it, try www.linuxcommand.org and learn the command line
(it only takes about an hour to get comfortable with it).

On 5/12/06, Mitch Thompson <mitchthompson at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> john e wrote:
>
> > I've seen that bugginess too. Try doing it a second time. Sometimes
> > the escalation dies (don't know why).
> >
> > Alternately, try the command "kdesu kcontrol" (without quotes) or
> > kdesu program_name.
> > It tends to work better
> >
> > On 5/12/06, Aaron J. Shafenberg <aaronjames at shafenberg.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm extremely new to Linux, let alone each individual distribution of
> >> it;
> >> you have to start somewhere though! So bare with me please.
> >>

> >> I have installed Kubuntu 5.1 Breezy on my laptop which is a Dell
> >> Inspiron
> >> 6000, the install goes smoothly and I'm able to log into Kubuntu with
> no
> >> problems. its after the log in when I'm trying to configure certain
> >> items
> >> that it tells me I need to get root access, I provide my password and
> >> sometimes it works and I'm able to change what I want and sometimes
> >> it won't
> >> work.  It won't allow root logins so is there a way that I can login
> >> without
> >> always needing to click the "Administrator Mode" button so that I'm
> >> freely
> >> able to configure what I want?
> >
> Kubuntu users who, like me, are comfortable with using the root login
> can do the following: (note: if you do this, you take responsibility for
> any damage you might do to your system!)
>
> sudo passwd root
>
> You will be prompted for your normal user account password, then the
> passwd program will run, giving you the opportunity to give  your root
> account a password.
>
> You can now log in as root.
>
> Mitch

pub 1024D/9091C422 02/05/2006 Mitchell Brown <mbgb14 at gmail.com>
    Primary key fingerprint:  812B 94BC EA0D 345A CC1C 2ED9 F7F6 5CCF 9091
C422