Random computer crashing

Mitchell Brown mbgb14 at gmail.com
Tue May 9 05:07:31 UTC 2006

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help --

Today I had to reinstall "that other operating system" on my dads computer.
Now, whenever the XP Setup got about half way through "Copying files to your
hard disk" the computers PC-Speaker made a disgusting croak noise and died
solemly. Like, the entire machine just went a cold shutdown like someone hit
the powerbar. Now, I tried my legit copy of XP, my pirated copy, everything.
Nothing worked. Finally, I decided to boot onto my PCLinuxOS livecd and wipe
out the partitions that way instead of using WinXP-Setups' built-in watered
down partitioner. Everything worked, the install worked, no more dying,
nothing. Just worked. I figured that the Windows partitioner was having
trouble creating the filesystem properly, right?

Well, now, here I am at the machine, and all of a sudden, it croaks, and
dies again! Right in the middle of a huge video-rip. Sounds intense, but for
this machine, its not really. Now, right away I think, "Oh, I'm overloading
it" - well, not the case, because the WinXP-Setup would always die in the
exact same place. So that's kind of a coincidence.

So does anyone know what this is? The sound the PC Speaker makes is kind of
a loud-low note, then fades out and the machine dies.

Thanks!

--
pub 1024D/9091C422 02/05/2006 Mitchell Brown <mbgb14 at gmail.com>
    Primary key fingerprint:  812B 94BC EA0D 345A CC1C 2ED9 F7F6 5CCF 9091