setting a umask

Serg B. sergicles at gmail.com
Sat May 6 18:51:41 UTC 2006

Howdy all,

It could be that I have reset a default umask in the past but now I
noticed that user home directory (/home/<user>)  has the following
permissions: 0755.

How can make it so a default home directory permission (when account is
created) is set to something like 0700  without the need to change it
manually? What file do I need to edit etc?

Also while on the topic, is there a setting that I need to edit to apply
default permissions to files and directories that are being created.

I know that a umask can be set from $HOME/.bashrc but want to know if
there are any global files that do that.

   Thanks,
      Serg