Breezy -> Dapper - adept wants to remove 295 packages

Michel D'HOOGE michel.dhooge at gmail.com
Fri May 5 07:39:29 UTC 2006

> There is more too it than that, isn't it?  Otherwise, we wouldn't see
> the massive uninstallations that happen when you mix apt-get and
> aptitude.

Sometimes aptitude does the wrong choice when a package is no longer
available or at least not in the good version for another package. In case
of conflict, surprises can happen ;-)

You then install program B that depends on library libA with apt-get.
> At this point, doesn't know that program B is depended on libA (in the
> automatic sense, dpkg seems to know the dependency graph).

I don't think so. See the following excerpt from the manual especially note
[10]:

Managing automatically installed packages

 To install one package, it is often necessary to install several others (to
fulfill its dependencies). For instance, if you wish to install the
clanbomber package, you must also install the package libclanlib2. If you
remove clanbomber again, you probably no longer need the libclanlib2
package; aptitude will attempt to detect this and automatically remove the
libclanlib2 package.
 It works like this: when you install a package, aptitude will automatically
install any other packages on which it depends. These packages are marked as
having been "automatically installed"; aptitude will monitor them and remove
them when they are no longer depended upon by any manually installed package
[10] . They will appear in the preview as "packages being removed because
they are no longer used."
 As with any automatic process, there is a potential for things to go
haywire. For instance, even if a package was automatically installed to
start with, it might turn out to be useful in its own right. You can cancel
the "automatic" flag at any time by pressing m; if the package is already
being removed, you can use Package->Install (+) to cancel the removal and
clear the "automatic" flag.

[10]  More precisely: they will be removed when there is no path via
Depends, PreDepends, or Recommends to them from a manually installed
package. If Aptitude::Keep-Suggests is true, a Suggests relationship is also
enough to keep a package installed.
--
Michel