What's the point of katapult?

Javier javiermon at gmail.com
Wed May 3 07:30:27 UTC 2006

On 5/3/06, Michel D'HOOGE <michel.dhooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You mean as in "Alt F2  kcontrol" ? ;-)
> I can't see either the real interest of katapult. At least it could
> show more than one choice based on the typed letter...
>
> Compared to "Alt-F2", it doesn't rely on history which is good if you
> want to start a program for the first time and don't know precisely
> the name - but in that case, maybe it isn't that important... ;-)
>
> BTW, this is the way "Alt-F2" behaves in gnome, there is an
> auto-completion based on what is typed and no history.
>
> My 2cts
> --
> Michel

Katapult is a work in progress. It's very influenced by this osx app:
http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/

Right now it has some nice features, like a calculator (try typing
2*4), ability to search though amarok's collection and other. They are
all plugins for katapult, so if development is active it will have
nice features like quicksilver has. Maybe a good plugin could be to
interact with the minicli (alt+f2) so it has all of it's features
(like launching google from konqueror with gg:whatever).

I think it's a nice application, it just needs more time to develop further.

--

Javier