multi operating system

sclewin at bmts.com sclewin at bmts.com
Fri Mar 31 16:17:19 UTC 2006

> I have my computer set up with 2 operating
systems, ubuntu 5.10 and
> windows ME.
> It is set up to show both systems on opening
screen. This morning it
> showed the following:
>
> Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.12-10-386
> Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.12-10-386 (recovery mode)
> Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.12-9-386
> Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.12-9-386 (recovery mode)
> Ubuntu memtest 86+
> other operating systems:
> windows 95/98/me
>
> Until this morning only 2 of the first 4 lines
were listed. Should I
> remove 2 of the lines?
> I don't know whether the first 2 or the second 2
were the original.
> Will it hurt to leave it as it is?
> Did I do something wrong to get this double listing?

Don't worry you simply recieved an update to your
Linux kernel.  You probably did update of your
system.  If you want to get rid of the newer
kernel you can simply go to adept/synaptic and
type in the name of the kernel and then select it
for uninstall.  I would, however, suggest you try
out the newer one, the 2.6.12-10 as it should have
sevurity and other fixes that may help you.

Your friend,
Scott

-