Home mount point

Mitch Thompson mitchthompson at satx.rr.com
Mon Mar 27 22:15:24 UTC 2006

Γιάννης Παπαδόπουλος wrote:

> Thanks for the advice. I tried first the manual mounting which didn't
> work although konsole accepted the change. The modification of fstab
> though worked.
> I noticed  then that I have an error message in / options in fstab. Do
> I also have to change the mount point for swap to be swap?
>
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> /dev/hda3       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro
> 0       1
> /dev/hda1       /media/hda1     ntfs    defaults        0       0
> /dev/hda2       /media/hda2     ntfs    defaults        0       0
> /dev/hda5       /home            ext3    defaults        0       2
> /dev/hda6       none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/hdb        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
>
> Any hints?

According to man (8) mount:

errors=continue / errors=remount-ro / errors=panic

Define the behaviour when  an  error  is  encountered.   (Either
              ignore  errors  and just mark the file system erroneous
and con-
              tinue, or remount the file system read-only, or panic
and  halt
              the  system.)   The default is set in the filesystem
superblock,
              and can be changed using tune2fs(8).

Therefore, what that line is saying is that, when mounting /, if the
filesystem has errors (i.e., not cleanly shut down), then unmount and
then remount the partition as read-only.  This will probably trigger
other errors, since a lot of things normally write to /.

You should not have to do anything for swap, since it is still /dev/hda6
on your system, correct?  Swap isn't "mounted" like other partitions,
put is turned on/off with the command swapon or swapoff, respectively.
It appears in the /etc/fstab because that is where the swapon command,
using the -a option, looks for it.

Glad you got it working!