USB device permissions

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Mar 21 15:10:38 UTC 2006

Gabriel Dragffy wrote:

> The filesystem is vfat or rather fat32. I'm sure it's to do with
> permissions as if I do a root login everything works swimmingly. Mounting
> the device is not a problem, the automagical mount works like a charm.

I think that part is to do with the fact that fat devices have no file-level
permissions, so you're restricted to the permissions of the mount point.

> Are you saying I should add
> BUS=="usb", KERNEL=="sd[a-z]*", MODE="0640", GROUP="plugedev"

Try it - you can't do any serious harm :-)  (That is, you might make
pluggable devices other than the one you really want, accessible, but one
assumes you control your own computer).

There's also something I forget about the use of the 'x' permission on FAT
partitions - perhaps you should change the mode to 0660.
--
derek