AMD64

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Tue Mar 21 07:59:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:35, Lord Sauron wrote:
> On 3/20/06, Mats Holmberg <mats.holmberg at elisanet.fi> wrote:
> > Lord Sauron wrote:

> > >Yes and as stable as i386.
> >
> > Ubuntu core system is stable, yes, but many applications are not. Also,
> > there are some features you simply won't get functioning - that is
> > easily or completely.
>
> You can always get it completely compatible.  AMD64 architecture is
> really just x86_64 - it's 100%, totally and natively compatible with
> i386, 486, 586 and 686 architectures.  Now, you will need to work at
> ignoring some architecture dependency checking, assuming you're not a
> total moron and try installing the PPC port of something, however,
> there is no such thing as a i386/AMD64 compatitibility problem.
> Anyone who tells you otherwise is either being blindly loyal to Intel
> or has absolutely no idea what they're talking about.  Period.  End of
> Subject.

There's no question about hardware compatibility.  The question is when
running a PURE 64bit system, will it will be possible to get 64bit
versionsof certain closed source libraries (CODECS spring to mind).  Sure
you can run a 32bit chroot or install 32bit compatibility libs, but that's
not a PURE 64 bit system then.

You missed half the argument.  Period.  End of Subject.

Cheers,

James
--
Por que o Drácula usa suspensórios vermelhos?
Para segurar as calças.