Flight 5 bugs?

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Mon Mar 20 00:27:04 UTC 2006

Γιάννης Παπαδόπουλος wrote:
> Good evening everybody
>>>
>> Yannis,
>>
>> I have a Sony VGN-TX650P.  I don't know if yours will act the same or
>> not, but I had to change my xorg.conf (in /etc/X11) to get my touchpad
>> working correctly.
> Etc/X11 is a folder. Shall I add the code that follows in two files that
> I should save in this folder? Sorry but I need detailed instructions in
> order to accomplish the slightest thing in Linux.
>>
>> I added the following section:
>>
>> Section "InputDevice"
>>     Identifier    "Synaptics Touchpad"
>>     Driver        "synaptics"
>>     Option "AlwaysCore"
>>     Option        "SendCoreEvents"    "true"
>>     Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/event2"
>>     Option        "Protocol"        "event"
>>     Option "LeftEdge" "130"
>>     Option "RightEdge" "840"
>>     Option "TopEdge" "130"
>>     Option "BottomEdge" "640"
>>     Option "FingerLow" "7"
>>     Option "FingerHigh" "8"
>>     Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
>>     Option "MaxTapMove" "110"
>>     Option "ClickTime" "0"
>>     Option "EmulateMidButtonTime" "75"
>>     Option "VertScrollDelta" "10"
>>     Option "HorizScrollDelta" "10"
>>     Option "MinSpeed" "0.60"
>>     Option "MaxSpeed" "1.10"
>>     Option "AccelFactor" "0.030"
>>     Option "EdgeMotionMinSpeed" "200"
>>     Option "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed" "200"
>>     Option "UpDownScrolling" "1"
>>     Option "CircularScrolling" "1"
>>     Option "CircScrollDelta" "0.1"
>>     Option "CircScrollTrigger" "2"
>>     Option "SHMConfig" "on"
>>     Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
>> EndSection
>>
>> And commented out:
>>
>> #Section "InputDevice"
>> #       Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
>> #       Driver          "synaptics"
>> #       Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
>> #       Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
>> #       Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
>> #       Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "0"
>> #EndSection
>>

>> I'm not certain what it all means, but the touchpad works much better
>> now.  I believe that I first found this on the web forums.  From what
>> I've read, MinSpeed, MaxSpeed, and AccelFactor are the important
>> options for fixing the speed.  I haven't bothered to try to remove or
>> adjust any of the options since it works pretty well right now.
>>

>> HTH,
>> -Matt Kuiken
>>

> Thanks again
> Yannis

Yannis,

xorg.conf is a file in the /etc/X11 folder.

To edit it, open a terminal window (sorry, I use Gnome so I don't know
how to do this in KDE.)

type 'sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf'

find the section in the file that looks like the one with # (hash marks)
in front of it.  Add the # marks at the first character of all of the
lines of that section.  Note the string in the Identifier spot in the
section.

Type in the section that does not have the # marks from above into the
file below the section you just commented out.  Change the string on the
Identifier line to match the one in the section you commented out above.
  This Identifier field is just something that is used to reference this
section later, so the value does not matter.  It gets used again in the
ServerLayout section at the bottom of the file.  The only important
thing about the identifier is that it matches in these two places.

I am attaching my xorg.conf file for you to look at, but I would not
recommend taking anything more than clues from my file.  I have made
some other edits which I am not certain are correct.

Please write again if this is unclear.  I am learning to give tech
support via email.  I've always done it over the phone before, and the
feedback loop is much slower here...

Hope This Helps,
-Matt