Cat Command

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Fri Mar 17 05:18:08 UTC 2006

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:12 am, Brad De Vries wrote:
> On 3/15/06, Freddie Cash <fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca> wrote:
> > I/O Slaves have got to be the nicest feature of KDE.
>
> I would have to agree.  Yesterday I had a Konqueror session open with
> two panes.  The left side had a fish:/ (FTP over SSH) running to my
> home server and the right side had an ftp:/ (regular FTP) to a local
> system.  I was able to drag-n-drop files from the local FTP server to
> my home server.
>
> I was impressed but all the local MS Windows drones were pushing their
> eyes back into their sockets and picking their tongues up off the
> floor.  You just got to love this stuff!

You wanna really pop their 4 (and only) brain cells, open a few konqueror
sessions (or tabs) with nfs:// smb:// fish:// ftp:// THEN start dragging
stuff around :)  "Look! Your precious Windows machines DON'T need Windows
clients to poke around them".

Showed my boss that a few weeks ago and he was astounded at "how far open
source has come"....I told him I've been doing it for years!  KDE's KIO
mechanism has been around since KDE2 (in various forms).  SSL/SSH was a bit
buggy in KDE2 (https didn't even work..at all) but the http/ftp/nfs etc were
there.  "Come a long way" indeed....but what have M$ been doing while F/OSS,
Apple and others have been making the network "transparent" to the user -
want to move stuff from NFS to a SMB share, no problem!

Roll on KDE4!

James
--
Windows drones have 4 brain cells: 1 to keep their heart beating, 1 to keep
them breathing, and the other two are arguing with each other.